Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fighting for your rights, just no satin tights


So apparently Wonder Woman got a new costume today. The nerd outcry has been deafening.

We go through this every single time there's a costume change. Remember Electric Superman? How about Captain America's new duds? This sort of thing isn't new and certainly isn't new to the character of Wonder Woman.

Honestly, I find the outrage to be a bit hypocritical. Wonder Woman is consistently a low seller for DC. Most of the people who are buying superhero comics are boys, and boys aren't typically interested in girls who can kick their ass let alone women who can kick their favorite hero's ass. All of a sudden these fanboys, who didn't care to read Woman Woman past its new first issue back in the summer of 2006, claim to be angry over a costume change designed to drum up interest in the book again. If half of the fanboys eagerly eating up Batman every month were also buying Wonder Woman, this publicity stunt wouldn't have been necessary.

I'm not a fan of Jim Lee's artwork, but the costume certainly isn't the worst thing she's ever worn. It looks a lot more practical than running about in heels.

So what does Lynda Carter think of the new look?
"I think Wonder Woman has a mind of her own. And I think she was just kind of ready for something new. She's got an attitude and if this is the new thing that she wants to wear, well, by God, she's going to wear it. And I like that."


EDIT: Here's a nice history of Wonder Woman's costume changes since her debut.

7 comments:

Siskoid said...

I'm not outraged by the costume, I'm outraged they would let JMS write Wonder Woman. He can sap the fun out of anything.

Even a trendy leather jacket that can't zip up.

Otterbecka said...

I know at least one straight male who attributes his interest in dominatrices to watching Wonder Woman as a young boy. Dunno if he also read the comics.

MOCK! said...

I actually like the costume. I can take or leave the jacket.

I picked up the first 15 issues of the reboot before giving up.

In my whole collection "Wonder Woman" appears in 443 comics. For female characters I keep track of, she is behind Wasp (470), Storm (463), and Scarlet Witch (453) and just ahead of Lois Lane (440). Almost all of her appearances come from JLA or the Perez run....

That being said, I don't see this new costume (or JMS) causing me to pick up her book.....

De said...

I'll be picking up Wonder Woman #600 because I'm curious, but as Siskoid mentioned, it is JMS writing. He turned Brave and the Bold from the fun romp of Mark Waid's run into a total snoozefest.

smacky said...

Mock, you really have stats on number of appearances in your collection? Wow.

Ann-Marie said...

Fair cop, I've not bought the book in years. (I've not bought any comic book in years.) Certainly wouldn't call myself outraged, and it is practical, if that's really a super hero consideration. WW, however has had a big impact on this female geek, and while I'm not outraged, I'm also not particularly impressed by the new look. WW was the first, and culturally-speaking, is the most important female superhero character (imo). Her "old" look was iconic. This, frankly, isn't. It's another ho-hum outfit for another ho-hum superheroine. Bad? No. WW? Not really. -am

MOCK! said...

Smacky, I use a neat piece of software from a company called Colelctorz...it does stats and stuff for me. I am mulling a blog post about the stats (most comics by certain writer; most by company; etc...)

Quick Linker