Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowpacalypse 2010


I am officially over winter.

In case you hadn't heard, the winter weather in the DC area saw 3–4 feet of snow dumped in the span of a week through two storms. The federal government has been shut down all week so far and might as well be closed tomorrow since a) it's Friday and b) people are still recovering from the storms. Since I'm a corporate stooge, I've been in the office all week except for when I was working from home yesterday. A couple of people I know in the contracting world are somewhat miffed about the extended closure because they had to use their leave to cover days not worked whereas federal employees don't.

The initial salvo of snow dumped 2–3 feet of snow, causing power outages all over the area. The power was out at my place for nearly a day. While I would have been fine, I was fearful that the temperature in the house could drop enough to freeze plumbing and really make a mess of things. Thankfully, power was restored and it wasn't an issue.

Yesterday's salvo was more annoying than anything. A sizeable amount of snow fell but the high winds really kicked things up to where I couldn't drive to the office. Snow drifts covered once clear portions of the roads and it was pretty difficult to see at times. I didn't like it but I worked from home, which was fine.

It was around noon when a bird somehow got into the house and began flying frantically back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room. The cats were going nuts because prey was now in view. They followed the bird and jumped on the counters and furniture hoping to land themselves something more exotic than Meow Mix. Of course, with agitated cats, the dogs thought it was time to play with the cats and the next hour was spent trying to coax the damn bird out onto the back porch and keeping the pets in line. Eventually, I put some bread and peanut butter on a plate and put it on the back porch. The bird followed suit and finally this episode was over. The only thing missing was this:

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I was one of those miffed contractors who has to take leave rather than get free days off like my hubby does...

But, as he plainly put it, the Federal Government isn't out to make a profit, like our companies are. I wish our companies would be more flexible and perhaps "loan" us snow-time that can be made up over the course of a couple months rather than made up by next week...

Nevertheless, It just increases my desire to become one of those Feds who gets the day off when it snows.

De said...

It wasn't that long ago when I was in the same boat. I like your idea of making up snow-time. Perhaps some groundbreaking company will make that happen one day.

angrygrrface said...

Time to pull out the snowboard.

Kate said...

Is it still snowing or has it started to melt?

De said...

The snow has stopped for now though I keep hearing rumors about more coming on Monday. It's 38F outside of my office at the moment so things are definitely melting, albeit slowly.

Quick Linker