Monday, December 28, 2009

Randy 'Brianna' Beth Clarke (1980-2009)

No doubt you all have been wondering where I've been the past couple of weeks. The day after my last post, my dear friend Bri died at the age of 29. Bri had a mitochondrial disease, whch affected her on a cellular level. Despite this, she never stopped doing whatever the hell she wanted.

We met when I rejoined DS495, a DC area Star Trek fan group (that sadly no longer exists). She and I were a lot younger then and got along quite well. At the time, she wanted to be a writer in the worst kind of way and often submitted stories to the group newsletter. When DS495 dissolved, we would chat online fairly often and see each other at conventions. Bri eventually decided to concentrate on her Master's degree in History rather than working to be a novelist. She had just finished her two final papers before her passing. George Mason University will be posthumously awarding her degree, which I think is just awesome.

Bri's death was quite sudden and has hit her family and friends like a freight train. As cliche as this sounds, it's been a bit of a wake-up call to me. Hopefully, I won't put that call on hold like I've done so many times before. Thanks for indulging me and my absence during what's been a rather difficult time.

2 comments:

angrygrrface said...

I'm so sorry about your friend.

De said...

Thanks, L.

Quick Linker