Saturday, August 2, 2008

Time Has Not Been Kind

Crap in a hat. Another week between entries. I'll try to be better about this but work has been piling up and I'm fairly exhausted at the end of the day after doing house stuff, dealing with the kids and pets, and attempting to unwind a little bit.

So what happened this past week you may ask? Not much.

Miriya has learned how to giggle, which is very very cute. Like her father, she's great to be around when she's in a good mood but not so great when she's cranky. This should be terrific when we hit the teenage years.

Work still bites. I'll just leave it at that lest I say something I might regret (keyword being might).

The ColecoVision console arrived yesterday. The unit is in pristine condition and is modified to use regular RCA connection cables instead of the old switch box. It fired right up without a hitch. This was the greatest gaming system when I was a kid (back in the halcyon days of 1982). Maybe I'll get around to doing a write-up on the system in a few weeks (yes yes, I can hear all saying in unison, "We've heard that one before.")

Watched Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay Friday night and liked it. It was stupid, but fairly funny. I didn't love it nearly as much as Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, but that's typically the caveat of sequels. One thing that I distinctly didn't care for was the rampant recreational drug use. Sure, that happened in the first but that film also had much much more to it. I know these are supposed to be the modern-day equivalent of Cheech and Chong, but I want more from a film than marijuana jokes every 10 minutes. If that's your thing, terrific, but me, not so much.

5 comments:

muse said...

I loved the first H&K too, and laughed at the 2nd, but pretty much thought the same thing as you.

That game console is awesome! I kinda miss my old Commodore 64... lol

Congrats on the addition to the family (I know, I am sooooo horribly late... I'm very sorry, I've been a total hermit in the last year, working like crazy, dealing with step-family dynamics - i.e. drama non-stop re the bio mom, the kids being teenagers, etc.). I suck and have been a crappy friend to all.

But anyway, very glad to see that you still have impeccable taste in movies, animation and geeky stuff! :-D

I've started reading Facebook a bit more again, but I'm just soooo behind on news (reading them, posting them myself). What can I say, I'll try to do better! heh

Siskoid said...

If you were lame, like I was, you had an Atari 2600.

But all the cool kids had a Coleco. Man, I invited myself to people's houses for a round of Spy Hunter more than once!

angrygrrface said...

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

De said...

Muse: Thanks for checking in, my favorite Quebecoise :) Looks like we've both been hit with a dose of reality—I'm not a fan either.

Siskoid: My family also had the Atari 2600. It was cool for what it was, but I played the ColecoVision any chance I got (which wasn't often).

Spy Hunter was an amazing game. Played it in the arcade as often as I could and made it to the boat stage exactly once.

Angrygrrface: There are times when you get suckered in...

Bill D. said...

I was a loyal 2600 kid, but I had the chance to play a few Colecovision games on the Coleco ADAM computer I got a little later on, and yeah, they were way better.

Quick Linker