Monday, August 25, 2008

Ohio Recap

This past weekend I took a trip to Ohio, a state yours truly had never visited before. The drive up wasn't too heinous save for a stop in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. I mentioned the stop in a Twitter so I guess I can elaborate now.

It had been about four and a half hours before I decided to stop for lunch. Since Hardees is nonexistent in Northern Virginia, I figured a Thickburger was appropriate. Stepping inside, the interior smelled like anger and sorrow. After ordering my Prime Rib Thickburger (which is delicious) and chocolate shake (not bad but way too small), I was witness to the manager having a friggin' meltdown. It was beyond uncomfortable standing there waiting for food as the shouting and the crying took place. A tiny employee eventually gave me my food and looked like she was afraid I was going to yell at her. I politely thanked her and told her to have a good day. I hope that tiny bit of kindness helped her through the day.

Upon arriving in Columbus, I checked into my hotel at the Extended StayAmerica and settled into my efficiency. Soon, I picked up my friend Jamie and we took a trip to Easton Town Center, the local, upscale mall which looked like it belonged in another dimension compared to the surrounding area. The rest of the area looked very depressed, reminding me a lot of Manassas if the economy was worse. Jamie and I spent a good chunk of time at the Barnes & Noble there.

Later that night, we had dinner at the local Steak N Shake. Steak N Shake is awesome! It's set up like a 1950's diner and serves up typical diner fare, the best being the signature Steakburgers. I also ordered a chocolate malt, which was served in a ginormous glass. Needless to say, I slept very well that night.

Sunday, we stopped by White Castle (see photos below) before going back to my hotel room so she could take a shower and change out of her work uniform. Soon, we returned to Easton Town Center to catch a movie. That movie was the quite excellent The Dark Knight (I'll discuss that in another post tomorrow). We had dinner afterward and then called it a night.

Driving home was a bit frustrating. I had hoped to just reverse the course I had taken to get to Ohio. However, the state of Pennsylvania has seen fit to make return trips through the state as convoluted as humanly possible. Whereas I had taken I-70 to I-68 and back to I-70 during my initial journey, that route was unavailable on the return trip. In order to continue on I-70, you had to get on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The Turnpike goes on for miles and miles without very many stops along the way. Granted, taking the Turnpike took about a half hour out of my trip but I would have liked the option of going my planned original route instead of paying $5 for the privilege. I know: complain, complain, complain.

So now I'm home. I'll have all of tomorrow to unwind before beginning work Wednesday. Overall, it was a great weekend thanks to Jamie who I'm sure is reading this. Thanks for a great time, Jamie. You are the coolest and 18 shades of awesome.

5 comments:

Allyn said...

Ah, yes, Pennsylvania road trips.

Driving in Pennsylvania is like driving in glue.

Roads don't go where you want them to go. The state somehow becomes so much bigger than you think it should. And it's nigh impossible to avoid the freakin' Turnpike.

In 1999, when I was living in Philly, a woman I'd hooked up with wanted to get together in Piitsburgh. (She was a grad student in a southern state. She was going to be in Pitt for a weekend conference.) I looked at the map, decided it was doable (and frankly, even if it wasn't doable, I'd have done it), and off I went. "I'll be in Pittsburgh in three hours!" I said.

Five and a half hours later, after a god-damned terrible slog on the Turnpike, I saw the spires of Pittsburgh on the horizon.

A worse trip! Going to New York City. The New Jersey Turnpike is bad enough, but the PA Turnpike extension is even worse.

Glad you had a great trip!

De said...

(and frankly, even if it wasn't doable, I'd have done it)

You are so my hero, Allyn.

I've been on the Jersey Turnpike a number of times thanks to traveling with my ex-wife to see her family and a girlfriend who guilt-tripped me into going. It didn't seem too bad from the lower end of the state.

Anonymous said...

Excellent diet De. We can probably make bio-diesel with what we get out of your arteries.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cyjiqyny.exactpages.com/ohujys.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://nixokoceg.uvoweb.net/acoqyg.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Quick Linker