Monday, June 2, 2008

Ray-e-ain on a Wedding Day

Yours truly started off the weekend Friday night by scrubbing pots. You see, I was asked if the in-laws could use my fabulous turkey-frying rig to boil shrimp for my sister-in-law's wedding reception. "No problem," I say and skip off to get it. Well, the main pot was still of oil from Christmas (I can keep oil for about six months before it goes rancid) and the retrieval basket was rather gross. So, I dump the oil in the fire pit normally used for bonfires (the next one ought to be fun—hee hee) and proceed to scrub and scrub and scrub until everything is clean. The process took about two hours, leaving me exhausted and in no mood for my original plans that night: going to see Iron Man.

Saturday was the wedding, held at All Saints Catholic Church. It was a genuine celebration of faith and there was not a hint of political shenanigans (unlike my brother-in-law's confirmation). Since Em was photographing the event for posterity, I was stuck babysitting. Miriya is at that bipolar infant stage where she can be happy and smiling one minute only to switch over to fussiness and frustration the next. Anyhoo, the wedding was fairly short as far as Catholic weddings go and we were off to the reception. My big job at the reception was to help cook; something I like to do when fire is involved. It rained for about 45 minutes but cleared up fairly quickly. We ended up cooking up arond 150 steaks and 100 chicken breasts total. The verdict: Yummy. I haven't a clue as to how long the festivities lasted, having taken off around 6-ish as a result of my sheer exhaustion. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, which is all that mattered.

Sunday, I was stuck once again babysitting Miriya. At one point, she nodded off and I thought I'd be able to nap. No dice. My beautiful baby girl woke up 15 minutes later and pretty much stayed awake until bedtime that night. No rest for the weary and all that jazz.

Despite it all, I was able to accomplish a bit of geekery in the form of The Andromeda Strain remake. It was okay until the plot veered in such a weird direction, there was no choice but to go along with it. I won't spoil it since A&E is repeating it about a million times right now, but it's a semi-decent stab at remaking the 1971 original film for the first hour and a half or so (the film is four hours with commercials). Once I finish V for Vendetta, I'll probably dig out my copy of Michael Crichton's book and finally read the story that started it all.

So that's it for me. Pictures are forthcoming, including a couple of me and former astronaut, Charlie Walker.

4 comments:

smacky said...

This coming Sunday is Dunn Loring show. Interested? Able to make it?

Em said...

I think our copy of the book is in the basement on the top shelf... And Smacky, with Cora's birthday party being Sunday 1-3, he may not be able to make it this month.

smacky said...

Oooooooh, yeah, I guess that would trump me. I concede!

Emily said...

Smacky, you are welcome to come hang with us during Cora's festivities. I know *I* don't feel like spending my entire time socializing with the 9 year olds...

Quick Linker