Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Friendly Neighborhood Iron Man

Well, I finally saw it. Being among the ten last comic book geeks to see this, it was difficult to avoid spoilers as folks raved about the film over the past month and a half, but mostly avoid them I did. In a nutshell, I'll definitely be buying the DVD, possibly the Blu-Ray disc, at the end of September (its rumored release date).

Some spoilery follows after the pic, so the other nine comic book geeks (and anyone else) can skip this section and rejoin us after the cover to Tales of Suspense #39.

No rhyme or reason to the following points; just some stuff I liked and/or noticed. No doubt this has been echoed on every other comics/film/geek blog in the ether, but it's my turn now.

  1. Changing Tony Stark's initial demeanor from the somewhat serious industrialist of the comics to the over-indulgent playboy/man-child seen in the film was a change for the better. If the early characterization from the comics had been carried over into the film, I doubt very much that the script would have been as strong.
  2. At the moment, I'm in the middle of reading the 1960's run of Tales of Suspense. While I appreciated the sexual tension between Tony and Pepper Potts, I kind of missed the little love triangle that also included Happy Hogan. Hogan is more or less window dressing in the film, but I guess it's not that big of a deal.
  3. I really didn't mind the other changes from the mythos like James Rhodes being a military liaison, Obadiah Stane's history with Stark International, and of course, the Afghanistan setting instead of Vietnam. It all felt right.
  4. The first shot of Stark being his hand around a glass of Scotch was certainly inspired. Although Jon Favreau doesn't think the "Demon in a Bottle" story will figure into the next film, I'd like to see it in Iron Man 3. Maybe combined with the "Armor Wars" storyline as an impetus for Tony to get his act together.
  5. I might have missed this in the "Special Thanks to" part of the credits, but the Stark logo looks awfully similar to Lockheed-Martin's.
  6. Speaking of the credits, yes I did stay after for the extra scene. It had already been spoiled for me, but it was still kinda neat.


So there you have it. It was a terrific movie first, a semi-decent adaptation second. Most of my friends aren't nearly as well-versed in the Iron Man mythos and their opinions on the film ranged from good to awesome. It appears to have a bit of staying power too, meaning people are still seeing it. This bodes well for Marvel's first foray into filmmaking. Hopefully The Incredible Hulk will fare just as well.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I liked both Hulk and Iron Man. Iron Man is more of a wish-fulfillment film. You want to be Iron Man in that movie. Hulk is a different type of film. It's a little more tragic in that you don't really want to be Bruce Banner. For me Hulk felt a little deeper, especially the first half. Both are good though. Go see!

Therin of Andor said...

I agree! I'm more of a DC superhero fan than Marvel (though I do collect "Fantastic Four") but both "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" were excellent, and beyond my expectations.

Quick Linker