Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary

I turned 34 today. As I try not to dwell on spending my birthday in an office cubicle editing proposals to government agencies, I have learned a number of things in the past year.

For starters, it is possible to have a job you don't particularly like but love the people you work with. That old adage about not realizing what you're missing until it's gone is dead on balls accurate. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my co-workers from my previous job. Normally, within a month, I'm ready to go on to my next adventure when it comes to a new job. It's been that long since I left my old job and I still think about them every single day. I talk to one of the managers on a near-daily basis but there are a couple of guys in particular I really should e-mail and let them know I miss them.

I'm now a parent of two kids, one of them biologically related, the other not. Something I wish my family would realize is that the Cora is just as much my daughter as Miriya. While my family has always been great to Cora, I'm really getting sick of comments like "How does it feel to finally be a father?" It's as if Cora never existed and that pisses me off to no end. She's an awesome kid and doesn't deserve crap like that.

Not too long ago, I couldn't drink coffee without some sort of sweetener in it and usually a good amount. Depending on my mood, I'll drink it with some cream or just black. Obviously my tastes are evolving, but I never imagined them to catch up to my disposition (hardy har har). In all seriousness, the biggest thing I've noticed this past year is that I am indeed changing. This sort of thing was not exactly on the top of my consciousness in previous years. I like to think I'm changing for the better but I'm afraid only time can answer that.

Lastly, my pal Dana sent an early birthday gift this week. Upon opening the package, it was very clear that my sense of humor hasn't changed very much. Behold!



Does this guy know me or what?

7 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Birthday De. Or, Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary, which is a new one for me. I hope after work you're able to have at least a small celebration with your loved ones.

Chris said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

angrygrrface said...

Happy Birthday!

Chris said...

Happy birthday buddy!

smacky said...

Happy Birthday! You indeed sound wise!

Bill D. said...

Happy Birthday, De!

smacky said...

PS: "How does it feel to finally be a father?"

Someone really asked you that??? What did they think you've been doing all these years? Treating Cora like a neighbor's dog (petting it but not cleaning up after it)?

Weird...

Quick Linker