Thursday, February 7, 2008

Train of Thought Thursday

I had two interviews yesterday. The first one did not go very well. I told the guy over the phone that I probably wasn't what he was looking for but he insisted I come in and talk to him. Fine. However, I get there to find not only the guy I talked to but one of the company's vice presidents! They grilled me like a farm-raised salmon on stuff I had already indicated I was only vaguely familiar with. The winning moment of the session was when I asked if they validated parking and was sternly told, "No. We do not." Yeesh, it's not like I asked for a threesome.

The second interview went much better. I got along with the two managers easily and we talked about a variety of subjects related to the tasks at hand. One of the managers was pleasantly surprised that I brought up an issue she had attended a meeting for just a few hours prior. The conversation flowed like the mighty Mississippi and time just seemed to melt away. While I hope to be considered for this spot, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I've found it's easier to accept the sting of disappointment that way.

Today's interview was with a rather prestigious firm that surprisingly had zero processes in place for documenting how they developed stuff or how their products worked. The spot would entail building these processes up from nothing and tackling about 30 documents to start with more to follow. This reminds me a lot of a previous position where I essentially gave my summer to a company working 15-hour days, seven days a week only to be laid off a couple months later. And the kicker is that the spot lasts six months with no guarantee of a follow on. I'm not entirely sure I would accept this spot if offered but I am going to think about it because if nothing else, this might be the job I have to take to stay afloat financially.

So that's what I've been doing the past couple of days. Oh yeah, Kenneth Johnson's V: The Second Generation came out on Tuesday. I've already read over a third of it. Trust me, there will be a review by the end of next week.

4 comments:

smacky said...

"This reminds me a lot of a previous position where I essentially gave my summer to a company working 15-hour days, seven days a week only to be laid a couple months later."

You mean laid off, right? Otherwise, that sounds like a nice end to the summer!

De said...

Talk about your Freudian slips! It's fixed now. Thanks for saving me a little future embarrassment :-)

Siskoid said...

I hate the interview process, whether I get laid at the end or not.

I can't positively point to a job I got because of a résumé or an interview rather than connections.

Siskoid said...

Oh, forgot to wish you good luck, which was the whole point of my leaving a comment!

Quick Linker