Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weekend Recap: Jumbo Edition

This past weekend was spent in fabulous Williamsburg, Virginia, where I attended MarsCon as a guest along with my fellow cast members of Luna-C. Despite not being totally "on," we had decent performances on Friday and Saturday nights. The audience seemed to like our new sketches, so it looks like we'll be folding them into the Farpoint show next month.

I was rather surprised that I didn't purchase very much during the course of the weekend that didn't involve alcohol or food. The only things bought in the dealer room were copies of Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic (which eerily predated Harry Potter by nearly a decade) and Superman: Red Son (a "what if" story of baby Superman landing in Cold War Russia instead of Kansas) from the very friendly folks of Creatures 'n Crooks Bookshoppe.

Over the course of the weekend, I met a couple of guys named Will and Josh only to learn later that both of them had been contestants on Beauty and the Geek. I didn't get a chance to talk to them about their experiences on the show and why they thought they'd fare better than their previous counterparts but hopefully I'll run into them some other time.

The rest of the weekend was spent goofing around, drinking, and watching stuff. Boy oh boy did I watch stuff...

Star Trek Trailer

In front of just about every copy of Cloverfield playing in theaters now is the teaser trailer for the new Star Trek movie (trailer available at the link). Teaser is definitely the keyword here. There are no spoilers unless you count guys welding the U.S.S. Enterprise together as a spoiler. This is all done to voiceovers of JFK, Scott Carpenter, Neil Armstrong, and Leonard Nimoy. It's a really nice attempt to evoke the sense of wonder of NASA's Golden Age, which was running parallel to the original Star Trek's television run.

Unfortunately, the rabid Trekkies began frothing at the mouth nearly immediately because "the engines are too big" and the ship is being built on Earth and other assorted nonsense. I truly hope this film does well if only to shut these people the hell up. I'll be there opening weekend.

Justice League: The New Frontier

I haven't a clue how anyone got ahold of this with still a month to go before it hits store shelves, but have it this mystery gentleman did. I've already pre-ordered this but I just couldn't wait. Adapted from Darwyn Cooke's terrific miniseries, this is nothing short of awesome. Some elements of the story were omitted for the sake of time but it's a very faithful transition from page to screen. I was awestruck watching it. It genuinely captured the spirit and voices of these characters as Cooke managed to do in his miniseries.

This was the first comic-based direct-to-video project I was even remotely excited about. It's good to see that my enthusiasm wasn't wasted. Now I really want to watch it again.

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, Part 1

Billed as the fan film produced by professional actors, the first part isn't too bad. The basic premise is that an old foe of Captain Kirk is still pissed off 40 years later. So pissed off is he that he travels back in time to prevent Kirk's birth, which results in a markedly different, not to mention brutal, universe taking shape.

The acting is reasonably sound but the direction on this could have really used some work. I know it's a totally different story when you pony up your own dough to produce something, but I can't help but think that a little more rehearsal time might have helped. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. The production just felt a bit wooden to me. Hopefully, this is just a peculiarity of the first part. I haven't looked around to see the reactions of other fans, but if the dickotry surrounding the trailer is any indication, it's probably best that I didn't.

1 comment:

smacky said...

The New Frontier. You couldn't wait? Haha! Glad to hear it's going to be good!

Quick Linker