For those of you who (pardon the pun) have not seen the newest Doctor Who installment, "Voyage of the Damned" (aka Christmas Special 2007), please enjoy this picture of the Doctor at the ATM and go no further lest ye be spoiled:
Okay, it's Bullet Time...
- A spaceship Titanic was a clever way to tease viewers. I know I couldn't have the only one who thought along the lines of "yet another Titanic story," especially since James Cameron's film drove that concept into the ground. It wouldn't surprise me if the concept was a gentle nod to the Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic.
- Hated the stereotyping of Morvin and Foon, but I loved how the Doctor made a point to join them. Because we all know that when you're with the Doctor, cool stuff happens :)
- Astrid (as played by pop singer Kylie Minogue) was sweet and adorable, just the sort of woman the Doctor would cavort with. However, we knew that her desire to join him in the TARDIS would ring hollow since Kylie has other things to deal with in her life.
- Mr. Copper was awesome. Loved his misinformed history lessons about the Christmas holiday. Now that he's on Earth, I hope the Doctor or the Torchwood folks run into him again.
- Bannakaffalatta is one of the coolest cyborgs ever.
- While I didn't mind the whole "Poseidon Adventure in space" motif, the cliches were becoming a bit tired after a bit.
- Despite already knowing the outcome, I couldn't help but feel bad for the Doctor when his plan to save Astrid failed.
- The less said about Max Capricorn the better.
Overall, I liked the episode despite the unevenness of it. The Doctor's interactions with people, both new and familiar, are always a delight to watch. Now we have to wait until March before Series Four begins. In the meantime, we'll have Torchwood Series Two which begins at the end of the month.