Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Short Review of Spider-Man 3

Over the weekend, I watched the Spider-Man 3 DVD I bought back in November. The movie isn't too bad but the goofy dance sequences and the news station exposition were pretty lame. I liked the character of the Sandman quite a bit and was hoping he'd get a bit of happiness before the end of the film.

And yes, my fellow comic book nerds, the origins and such weren't exactly like they were in the comic. I don't mind a bit of deviation so long as the basic established gist of the characters are there. To all of you comparing this film to X-Men 3 in terms of "teh suck," you can bite me.

5 comments:

Bill D. said...

Am I the only person who enjoyed X-Men 3?

As for Spidey 3, I actually think the dancing was my favorite part. I appreciated the unapologetically goofiness of it.

smacky said...

I agree with Bill D. Granted, I saw this on a tiny screen on the seat in front of me on an airplane, but the idea that the black ooze makes Peter so confident he becomes a cocky jerk (completely altering his personality) was a cute touch.

Never saw any of the X-men films, so I can't speak of them.

De said...

I'm probably going to have to break out X3 and watch it again. When I watched it the first time, I remember not liking it due to the illogical ending (killing a central character when such a big deal had been made about dampening powers throughout the film).

Wes said...

Ha, I'm in agreement with Bill and Smacky -- I loved the dance scene. I didn't think the movie in general was very good or memorable, and for movies like that there's little left to do but ramp up the goofy factor to make an impression. Spider-Man 2 this was not.

I didn't particularly like any of the X-Men films, but whereas I despised X2 I just sort of mildly disliked X3. X3 largely seemed kind of half-assed, but X2 was actively and over-the-top insulting.

Matter-Eater Lad said...

I thought the big problem with Jerkass Peter was that it was played for laughs more than anything else -- if we were supposed to see his behavior as serious and consequential for the characters, it, and other people's reactions to it, needed to be something other than goofy.

Quick Linker