Friday, January 25, 2008

Juno

I caught Juno again last night and loved it as much the second time as I did the first. Is it worthy of the Oscar nods it received? I'm not sure, but then again, the Oscars are a pretty lame barometer as far as film quality goes in the first place.

The majority of reviewers, according to Rotten Tomatoes, seem to like the film with the others being the typical "I hate everything that shows on more than 50 screens" hipster-snob crowd with a few jabs from folks who believe abortion is the only sane option with an unplanned pregnancy.

The film, despite it's Clerks/Gilmore Girls-style dialogue, has an underlying humanity throughout. And although I'm a bit of an android where sentimental stuff is concerned, I appreciated the examination of love in many of its myriad forms. Add in an awesome cast and you have a really great film.

I have no idea when the DVD will be released, but it looks like it will be after the Academy Awards Show (which will hopefully not happen—Viva WGA!). So, in lieu of watching it at home, catch this as it's playing in theaters now or add it to the Netflix queue. In any case, Juno is good stuff.

No comments:

Quick Linker