Monday, November 5, 2007

The Week Ends, the Week Begins

Once again, I tour the week that was with regard to a smattering of subjects. Come along... if you dare...

DVDs

I'm about halfway through the first disc of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, Volume One and the review so far is mixed at best. The film My First Adventure starts with the first half of the first episode of the TV series with eight-year old Indy first meeting his tutor Miss Seymour and beginning his travels as part of his father's world lecture tour. This is then followed by an installment filmed later, featuring an older Corey Carrier as Indy, despite it alleging to take place immediately after the first part. When the series premiered on ABC back in 1992, the two-hour film opening the series had the eight-year old Indy set up the mystery with the older 16-year old Indy solving it. Now, the second half of the mystery takes place in another film (Spring Break Adventure). I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it so much if the second half didn't end so abruptly (it literally just goes away without any mention of it whatsoever in the second half). Sure, the production values are awesome and you do get a sense of being there but the film as it exists on the disc is way too uneven to be taken seriously.

While the film isn't any great shakes, the documentaries I've watched so far are pretty damn cool. The first doc, Archaeology: Unearthing Our Past is a very good overview of the science of archaeology and why it matters to find stuff buried under tons of dirt. It took me a minute to piece together that the Kent Weeks featured in the documentary is the same guy who found the lost tomb of Rameses II in 1995, which was one of the most significant finds of the last century second only to Howard Carter's 1922 discovery of King Tutankhamun's tomb (now immortalized by Steve Martin's nutty song and dance number). I thought it was cool...

The other docs on the to-watch list deal with Howard Carter, T.E. Lawrence, and the peculiar institution of slavery. If they're produced with the same quality as the first doc then these are going to be awesome.

Books

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America. I appreciate Morgan Spurlock's conversational style as he attempts to prove his thesis about Big Food being as big a problem as Big Tobacco. However, his points would be better served with some kind of footnotes or end notes in order to keep his critics at bay.

Other Stuff

I just finished talking to my insurance agent about my dear, departed 2004 Kia Rio. My car loan is paid off and there's a little bit left over that will serve as a decent down payment on the next vehicle that dares to serve as my commuting chariot. Tomorrow morning's plans are to bid my totaled vehicle a tearful farewell and take my assorted stuff out of it—namely my DJ equipment, a couple of suit jackets, and the plethora of CDs that need to be transferred to the iPod.

Friday's Morrissey concert was okay. I was surprised by how many old favorites he sang. The encore of "How Soon is Now" was beyond awesome!! The band used a giant drum and a gi-normous gong as accompaniment, which planted the seed in my mind that the Blue Man Group really needs to cover this song (BMG's cover of "Baba O'Riley" is a good example of how they could cover it).

However, the balcony seats of Constitution Hall are pretty damn small. Clowns in Volkswagens would laugh at these seats. The uncomfortable positioning, combined with the remnants of the traffic accident, made it sheer hell to sit through two hours of concert. Oh yeah, I'm officially old now as the music was (I'm so going to get it now) too loud. The Smiths and Morrissey were never the type of musical groups I would play very loudly to begin with (not even "How Soon is Now"), so it was a bit jarring. The pain combined with the killer headache essentially put the kibosh on Saturday, when I was supposed to hang out with the legend that is Smacky. I'm definitely not 25 anymore.

1 comment:

smacky said...

Aw... I can count on one hand the physical things I did Sunday, but for the first time in my life I got back spasms in my lower back at work this morning. I've never felt that before, and it was scary and funny at the same time.

Quick Linker