Monday, October 29, 2007

The Week Ends, the Week Begins

Taking a cue from my pal, Siskoid, I'm going to summarize some of the stuff experienced and/or acquired over the past week. So without further ado...

DVDs

My copy of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Volume One (mentioned here) arrived within a day of clicking "Send" so Amazon Prime gets a big thumbs up from me even if I still haven't taken the shrinkwrap off. The packaging matches up with the Indiana Jones trilogy box set fairly well, so it's got that going for it... which is nice.

Sometime next year, I hope to put together a bonus disc of sorts containing the extras that appeared on the 1999 VHS releases as well as the box art for those folks that like to play with Photoshop. We'll see how that project turns out, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Books

Arriving the same day as the Young Indy set was my copy of Into the Wild (my film review here) by Jon Krakauer. It's currently on my to-read pile along with a host of other stuff.

52: The Novel has been put on hold as my commuting read for the time being. I really wasn't getting into Greg Cox's prose. In its place is Morgan Spurlock's Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America. Allegedly, this book is what Spurlock's documentary, Super Size Me, would have been given more screen time. The book looks like it will be a quick read.

Film

Last night, Em and I hung out with some of the Luna-C folks over at Casa Stewart. While enjoying some good pizza and other assorted snackery, we watched Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Pan's Labyrinth.

Wallace & Gromit was a very fun film for what I saw of it. Gromit is easily one of the best claymation characters ever and the film takes the level of zany hilarity to an entirely new level. Plus it has rabbits—very cute rabbits.

Pan's Labyrinth was not what I expected it to be. I thought it was another mindf@$% in the same vein as The Cell. The film is layered in subtext as it bounces back and forth between 1944 Spain and a rather odd storybook world. This is something that bears repeat viewings though I don't recommend it for the squeamish.

Other Stuff

Episode 008 of the G.I. Joe Review Podcast was a rundown of this year's G.I. Joe Convention in Atlanta instead of the usual reviews of Marvel's comic book. While I liked hearing about the experience, it still very much had a "You should'a been there!" bend to it. That's fine for when you're talking to your friends (sometimes) but makes for very poor podcasting. Some audio from the event might have been nice.

Friday night was spent in "The Haunted Forest" located next to the Algonkian Park's miniature golf course in Sterling. It was your typical collection of macabre scenes and people jumping out at you in assorted costumes. The end is marked by a cemetary full of plywood tombstones and other decor you'd find in Count Floyd's basement. However, I do have to note the undead mom pushing a blood-stained pram. I really wish I could have taken a photo to convey just how creepy this woman looked. She was the only part of the "tour" that I found unnerving. I also found her oddly hot.

After enduring night blindness and the mediocre creepfest, it was off to Minerva for some awesome Indian food. After filling up on Chicken Pakora, Butter Chicken, and Chicken Biryani, I was ready for some sleep.

Lastly, an update to the car situation: my 2004 Kia Rio is no more. The damage assessed was more than the value of the car to the tune of $1300 and was deemed totaled. I'm patiently waiting for the settlement office to ring me back. However, I'm not entirely sure if I'm even going to buy another car at this point. I carpool with Em most mornings and it's not too often that we need more than one car. I'm giving serious thought to joining ZipCar or FlexCar for those days I need to drive.

No comments:

Quick Linker