Monday, October 1, 2007

De's Movie Corner

I'm home sick today (yeah yeah, poor me) so I've been taking it easy and drinking my weight in liquids. I've also been watching lots of TV - stuff like Code Monkeys, My Name is Earl, and It's Me or the Dog. However, I did log a couple of hours with an awesome flick called Akeelah and the Bee.

The film is about a young girl from South Central LA with a talent for spelling and the struggles she endures on her way to the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Helping her along the way, among others, is Laurence Fishburne as a semi-retired college professor who coaches young Akeelah. Although some cliches can't be avoided, this was one terrific movie if I may be so bold. All the characters in the film are developed at a decent pace and actually grow without resorting to sappy, pappy crap. If you don't mind the occasional well-done, heartwarming film, then look no further than Akeelah and the Bee.

3 comments:

smacky said...

My mother-in-law has that movie. I saw the cover and immediately lumped it in with the "Lean on me," "Dangerous Minds," etc. movies she loves: Inspirational movies about one person (sometimes of the same race, often a lone white female) going into a school and inspiring the dead-end kids. Glad to hear it's not another one of those. I'll give it a shot.

De said...

One of the best parts of the film is Laurence Fishburne's performance. I continue to be amazed by this guy and find it very hard to believe he was Cowboy Curtis on Pee-wee's Playhouse.

smacky said...

I find it really hard to believe he was the 14-year-old kid in Apocolypse Now! (the gunner on the boat) but yeah, that's him.

Quick Linker